KENYA RURAL ROADS AUTHORITY Tender: TRAINING OF CONTRACTORS FOR ROAD CONSTRUCTION, REHABILITATION AND MAINTENANCE WORKS USING LABOUR –BASED METHODS Closing Date: 12th September 2012
KENYA RURAL ROADS AUTHORITY
INVITATIONS PREQUALIFICATION FOR TRAINING OF CONTRACTORS FOR ROAD CONSTRUCTION, REHABILITATION AND MAINTENANCE WORKS USING LABOUR –BASED METHODS
The Government of Kenya has received a grant from the Government of Finland through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) towards the cost of the programe for Agriculture and Livelihoods in Western Communities (PALWECO) in Busia County and intends to use part of the grant for rural roads rehabilitation/ construction works and training of contractors to undertake road works using labour based methods.
The Kenya Rural Roads Authority (KeRRA) now invites local construction firms to apply consideration for training.
The proposed training aims at providing Managing Directors and their site supervisors with knowledge and skills required to carry out road rehabilitation and construction operations using labour methods correctly and also to manage their business efficiently.
The applicants must meet the following minimum criteria for selection:
1) Contracting firms must be currently registered with ministry of Roads in Classes H or G contractors already registered in Classes A to F are excluded from applying.
2) Each contracting firm must propose one Managing Directors and tow site supervisors
3) The Managing Directors of the applying firms must have minimum of KCSE grade D+. Additional technical or professional training will be added advantage.
4) The site supervisors must have a minimum qualification of Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized training institution
5) The duration of training for successful applicants will be 12 weeks (5 weeks classroom + 7 weeks for practical training on a demonstration road).
6) 25 firms comprising of 25 managing directors and 50 site Supervisors will be selected and invited for training which is scheduled to commence in this 2012 / 2013 financial year.
The training will be carried out by Kisii Training Centre (KTC). Only those Contractors who complete the training course successfully will be eligible to be considered to tender for contracts for labour – based road rehabilitation and construction works.
Each of the selected contractors will be required to pay Kshs. 50, 000 to cover part of the training cost for the Managing Director and 2 site Supervisors.
More information about the training course may be sought form the Regional MANAGERS Office at Busia County. Application forms will be supplied form the same KeRRA Regional Managers Office at a non refundable fee of Kshs. 1, 000.
The forms should be collected during official working hours form Monday to Friday beginning from Friday 17th August 2012. The prequalification Forms shall be deposited in the Tender Box located at the office of the Regional managers on or before 12. 00 noon on 12th September 2012 and addressed to:
The Regional Manager
Kenya Rural Roads Authority – Busia
P. O. Box 470
Busia – Kenya
Opening of the Tenders will take place at the Regional Managers Office, Busia at 12. 15 pm kin the presence of Tenders / Representatives who wish to attend.
ENG. MWANGI MAINGI OGW
KENYA RURAL ROADS AUTHORITY