The department of Public Works has marked nine buildings for demolition in Nairobi. The buildings located in Huruma, Dagoretti, Umoja, Zimmerman, Marurui, Hazina, South B, Roysambu, Githurai, and Kahawa West estates have been deemed unsafe for occupation.

The department of Public Works has marked nine buildings for demolition in Nairobi. The buildings located in Huruma, Dagoretti, Umoja, Zimmerman, Marurui, Hazina, South B, Roysambu, Githurai, and Kahawa West estates have been deemed unsafe for occupation.

This follows after a recent incident where a complex building collapsed in Huruma estate leaving several people injured, dead and homeless. This is not the first incident that has happened, a series of them have occurred in the past across various parts of the country. this has sought many answers from authorities involved in the construction and building sector.

The buildings, according to Public Works Principal Secretary Paul Mwangi, had either been built on unsafe grounds, for instance located near rivers, built with poor-quality materials or were not approved by the construction authority. During a recent interview in a local station, Eng. Evans Goro stated that those wishing to co-habit a house should be shown a certificate of occupation obtained from a respective county government office by the owner. But most people living in rental houses don’t bother to ask for the proof when occupying a house.  Why is this information only availed by an official when a disaster occurs? Should this be the case really?

In a case of Huruma estate has a very poor infrastructure and sewerage system and the living conditions too are outrageous. The area alone has 70 buildings deemed unfit for occupation and will be demolished as they have a high chance of causing destruction and collapsing.National Construction Authority and County Government of Nairobi in 2015 carried out an audit on buildings showing that 48 per cent of the buildings are okay, but the other 52 per cent need to be attended to.

NCA audit shows only 42% buildings safe

Recently, the CS for Land, Housing and Urban Development directed professionals involved in the building and construction industries to strictly adhere to the building code, lest they face arrest and prosecution.Since 1996, more than 30 buildings have collapsed in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Kiambu, Kisii and Meru. This is due to speed of construction and poor quality of materials used among contractors across the country.
 

Leave a Reply